Where does the word "bunting" come from?

The origin of the term "bunting"

On a navy ship, the sailor whose job it is to raise the flags is still referred to as a bunt. Bunting used to describe the material to make the flags – an individual triangular flag was called the tammy, a word derived from estamet, the French word meaning lightweight wool fabric. Bunting (or bunt) was  manufactured from the turn of the 17th century, and used for making ribbons and flags, including signal flags for the Royal Navy. Amongst other properties that made the fabric suitable for ribbons and flags was its high glaze, achieved by a process including hot-pressing.

Small flags were used to relay messages between boats. The most famous message using the numeric flag code by this method , was by Lord Nelson on the HMS Victory at The start of the Battle of Trafalgar communicating to his fleet. " England expects that every man will do his duty"